Categories

Pages

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Road to GP KL Part 2: Double draft

Courtesy of WGS, I had the chance to participate in not one, but TWO drafts Tuesday night!

I went into the drafts with a plan to experiment with one colour which I seldom drafted, green. I have to admit I don't get much success with green in draft. Maybe I prefer slim, sleek creatures to big fatties. But the U-G cards available in Dissension looked to be downright broken if used properly, and my plan was to find a way towards drafting that Guild, which basically meant I was

First pod I eventually went B-W-g. The green just wasn't coming, and any preconceptions I had about green being underdrafted went out the window as far as my local environment is concerned. As for the blue, I didn't get anything worthwhile in Pack 1 and 2, and when an Ocular Halo drifted by me in pack 3, and I resisted greatly picking it up. On hindsight, I should've picked it up, coz the only green i had in my deck was a Wurm, a Watchwolf (which I threw out), and a Seeds of Strength (which I pretty much sideboarded out all the time). I had a quite powerful B-W deck, with only one problem, it was too slow, mainly due to my earlier notions of green. As such, it got run over by the fast decks. I also learnt a harsh lesson of the value of signets. I went 1-3.

Second pod worked better, at least where the draft was concerned. Mark of Eviction is the BOMB in the right deck, works extremely well with the U-G in Dissension, esp. the graft mechanic. I just need to remember to build my deck around it if I get it early. I ended up U-G-W, but although I had a strong solid deck, critical play errors, a distinct lack of removal and the draft going on for FAR too long ended up giving me a record of 1-3. Again.

Still, I learnt a lot of R-G-D draft, which is essentially what all this drafting is about. GP-KL I am on target.

C'mon WGS!!!

Note to self: If draft is starting late and players involved are certain individuals, withdraw instantly to prevent irritation and lack of sleep...

1 comment:

ExecutorAzmin said...

You'd know who, wouldn't you? :lol: