Categories

Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Liverpool Season 2013/2014 : A quick look on the transfer window activity

Premier League season has just kicked off, and Liverpool have been in the news for quite a bit, mostly for the wrong reasons. While I certainly expected Suarez to make a fuss about leaving, I didn't expect the mess it has turned into. But, anyone who's known Suarez for a while, it shouldn't really be unexpected for Suarez to act the way he has. The good news is that as of today Suarez looks like staying! (with some Gerrard involvement it seems). I won't be counting my chickens just yet, but if he's still around 13 days down the road, I'll be a happy camper.

I do take comfort in the fact that there are other clubs in worse condition. Imagine being an Arsenal fan right about now...


Liverpool started the season with a win, but it could so easily have been different. Again, we had the chances but not the finishing, and we were almost undone by a late penalty. If Suarez is staying, we need to keep winning until he's back, convince him that we CAN make it to the Champions League.

Anyway, back to the topic: Here's where Liverpool are (transfer-wise):

----------
Significant transfers:

IN:
Kolo Toure (Man City, free)
Luis Alberto (Sevilla, £6.8m)
Iago Aspas (Celta Vigo, £7.2m)
Simon Mignolet (Sunderland, £9m).

OUT:
Danny Wilson (Hearts, free)
Jamie Carragher (retired)
Andy Carroll (West Ham, £15.5m)
Jonjo Shelvey (Swansea, £6m)
Suso (Almeria, loan).
Stewart Downing (West Ham, £5m)
Pepe Reina (Napoli, loan)
Jay Spearing (Bolton), undisclosed.
----------------

Let's be realistic, we were never going to get a profit from the sale of Carroll and Downing, since we overpaid in the first place. But it was important to get them permanently off the books. The good thing is overall our trade has been relatively balanced this time around, at least financial-wise.


I'm glad Suso wasn't sold, I definitely see potential in the lad but needs a bit more development. Spearing and Shelvey had run their course, I'm sure they'll be successful elsewhere. Our change in keeper was not unexpected for me, I know some fellow fans found it disappointing, I'm looking forward to seeing Mignolet more in goal, especially after his penalty save heroics. And while Kolo Toure's a useful stopgap, I would like to see Skrtel reclaim his spot in the first team. Whatever his misunderstanding with Rodgers, I'm sure it can be healed.

We're still sourcing for a left-back to 'back up Enrique', according to Rodgers, but it sounds iffy to me. Wasn't this the same tune he was singing about Reina when he brought in Mignolet? I don't mind Enrique being replaced but whoever he is better be good!

Of the new recruits, I really like Aspas' work so far. I can see him being a very important player for us.

My season prediction: Still early days of course, but I expect good things from Liverpool this season, regardless of how the Suarez saga ends. Rodgers will be expected to deliver, he's had enough time to bed in. Liverpool to end up in a Champions League spot come the end of the season. I kid you not.

YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE.

EDIT: Shortly after I posted this entry, I found out that Aly Cissokho has signed for Liverpool in a season-long loan. Time for Enrique to turn up the juice!

No comments: