Categories

Pages

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Movies to watch in the Cinema for 2013


Right now, Iron Man 3 is out. Raudha has been dropping a few hints insisting we watch it. I’m not convinced if it’s Iron Man or Robert Downey Jr she wants to watch, but I’ll try to bring her anyway.

I've missed out on a lot of cinema movies for quite a while now so I’m listing, right now, right here, the top 5 movies that I resolve to watch for 2013. Yes, I know I'm late, but guess what, I still haven't watched anything in the cinema this year, with more than a third of the year gone. 

Star Trek: Into Darkness

First on the list, this one’s coming in May, I think everyone's looking forward to this one. I hope I’ll be able to score a preview screening. Trailer looks nifty, but admittedly all trailers look impressive.

I like this post, it's exciting!
JJ Abrams did an amazing job with the first movie, if he can match that I’d be very much impressed. With a great cast in place, it’s all down to the vision and execution. Hopefully all 7 of the crew will get to shine in their own separate style.

World’s End



This is the third in the Cornetto trilogy (see here for a wiki that sheds some light). Hot Fuzz did not achieve the same heights as Shaun of The Dead, but that was always a big ask. For those not in the know, all three movies pair the dynamic comedy duo from Britain, Simon Pegg (who incidentally is also in Star Trek) and Nick Frost. Shaun of The Dead was the first rom-zom-com before Warm Bodies was even written, and has since developed a cult following. I’ve actually written about this movie before, almost ten years ago (see here). Loved it loved it loved it! Hope this one turns out to be just as entertaining.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

 The whole point of this article. I admit it, at the time of this writing, I have yet to watch The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (apologies Nurul!). But I promise I will before Desolation of Smaug comes out. I’m one of those fanboys who were pretty annoyed at The Hobbit becoming three movies, but I will watch it regardless.
What, you haven't watched the first one yet? Silly Gollum!

 

Jack Ryan


 I’ve always been a fan of the Jack Ryan novels. I tapered off after Executive Orders though. The Bear and The Dragon just didn’t click with me and didn’t continue to read any. Most of the newer characters created by Clancy didn’t have the same charm and life of the older characters.

As for the movies, my favourite remains The Hunt for Red October, but I preferred Harrison Ford’s take on the character. Alec Baldwin was okay, Ben Affleck was not. And the problem with the Jack Ryan novels in general is that there’s so many storylines going on at the same time, even if they are connected in some way. As such, the movie adaption more often than not ends up having to trim the story to make it work. I felt most of the movies (except The Hunt for Red October) chopped off some of the best bits.

Man, my ride in Star Trek was way cooler!
I’m not sure which novel it’ll be based on, since Chris Pine is Jack Ryan, it could be Red Rabbit (with a younger Jack Ryan). We’ll see… Incidentally, Keira Knightley is starring as Cathy Ryan. Va Va Voom!

Wrap-up

 So there you have it. When it comes to the cinema, as you can see I prefer movies that can take advantage of a cinema setting. Contemporary human dramas or even comedies therefore rarely make the list, even though they may become my favourite movie. I like to watch those in the comfort of home. The Wolverine deserves a mention, but it’s not really a priority for me. I hope I haven’t missed anything out.

Now that my list has been made official, I damn well better make sure I watch ‘em!

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

FYI, the DVD is out so there is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for you now. - Nurul

ExecutorAzmin said...

Okla okla... :p