Categories

Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Interests can come and go...

It's been more than 12 years since I left Australia. I'm sure that a lot of stuff that I got interested in while I was there, I no longer have an interest in. One example would be Vegemite. While I was there I was almost certain that it would be a part of my breakfast regularly for the rest of my life. Well, that's no longer the case. Not for lack of availability, if I wanted to, I'm sure I can find it in places like Jaya Grocers. But I don't remember the last time I had a yearning for it, so I can safely consign it to be an interest that no longer is.

But I'll tell you one thing I picked up while I was there that I still indulge in:

Cricket.

As I write this, I'm watching live streaming of the Indian Premier League (IPL), watching the team I decided to support a few years back: King's XI Punjab.

(And just watched one of my team's wickets fall :( )

I have to admit I'm a bit surprised that I still follow quite a bit of cricket, not just on-field but off-field. For 8 years I followed it on my own, and it was only in 2008 that I found two more people in Malaysia who shared the same interest, my old boss, and a colleague of mine. I thought that my interest in football would eventually stifle any time devoted to cricket, but nope, that hasn't happened.

Here's one of my favourite T20 format cricketers, Azhar Mahmood.


My old boss has left the company, so I'm down to one fellow fan again.

Maybe I should try seeking out other fans, form a club of some sort maybe?

It would be good if cricket became big in Malaysia, but nope, that ain't happening anytime soon.

For now, come on King's XI Punjab!!!