Categories

Pages

Friday, August 30, 2013

Plastic Overload

This morning, before heading to my office, I do something that I normally do maybe once or twice a week: Pick up pastries from the ground floor bakery. This is what I bought:



The thing is, I could so easily have asked her to pack it in one plastic. After all, I'm not passing it to others, they were both for myself. And what made it even funnier was that even then, I had to refuse yet another plastic to put the two plastics in!

Despite our government's efforts to restrict plastic usage to help the environment, such as the no-plastic Saturday for supermarkets, we still consume far too much. An excellent example is what happens after kenduris (ceremonies/celebrations with meals included) , if there's excess food, we'll pack it up. How do we pack it? That's right, with plastics!

When we buy packed food, it's actually double trouble. The food would tend to be in a polystrene case, followed by a plastic bag! And I'm just as guilty as everyone else whenever I buy Nasi Ayam Kunyit from the back road behind my office!

I do try to cut down when I can. Earlier this year for a few months I was using a tupperware container to bring back my food in. Unfortunately, this stopped about two months ago after I brought my tupperware container back home and haven't done it since.

I was actually inspired to write this post after seeing this picture yesterday on Facebook, posted by Weirton West Virginia and shared by Mix FM, one of my favourite radio stations:


But you know what, at least it's being saved for re-use, which is a good thing.

It feels like an impossible objective, trying to save the environment. But, when I think of my kids, I do try to do whatever I can, in any small way. And if it means cutting down on Nasi Ayam Kunyit, maybe I should!

No comments: