Categories

Pages

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Cricket Fetish

I’ve been following a lot of cricket lately. I appreciate the way that the Indian Premier League has provided me with an exciting way back into Cricket, a way where I don’t get labelled a glory-seeker for supporting the all-conquering Australians. It’s a lot like the English Premier League, except that it only goes on for about a month and a half. I tell ya, if I’d known before it started that I could subscribe to it on my satellite tv provider, I would’ve purchased it instantly. Now with less than a half month to go, I’d rather not. Next year then, provided everything else works out, God willing.

 

It’s nice to be able to write like this again, what I want, how I want, although I admit the circumstances that drove me to seek refuge here were not the best. If I can settle into the rhythm, I think I might actually achieve something here. I have a theory that my lack of progress in my career may have something to do with me spending too much time on non-productive activities, non-productive meaning stuff that doesn’t actually generate or develop anything income-wise. This may be true, but blog-writing is definitely not one of them.

 

Anyways, back to the Cricket. I haven’t actually decided on supporting any particular team right now, although I have an affection for Deccan due to Gillie being there. Deccan unfortunately, languish near the bottom of the table, a situation which looks unlikely to change for now, half the teams themselves are still trying to find their footing. What’s worse is that their Captain, Laxman, appears to be unable to adapt to Twenty20 Cricket. At the top of the table are the Rajasthan Royals, and surprise surprise, they’re the only team captained by an Australian (surprise, surprise) and it’s the legendary Shane Warne. What’s even more impressive is the fact that they were the cheapest team to assemble, costing $67mil, as compared to the team at the bottom the Bangalore Royal Challengers, which cost $111.6 mil to recruit. Credit goes to the selectors as well, as most of Rajasthan’s imported players did not have any international commitments halfway into the campaign.

 

It’s about twelve days left for the tournament, during that time I intend to head over to a Sunway mamak where I can get my fix, probably not daily, but I’ll try. Need to check the timing though, do not want to spend more time and money than necessary. At least I’ll be able to cheer my team on this time. I remember watching the Cricket World Cup back in ’06, where I was forced to root for Australia in silence, to ensure that the supporters of Sri Lanka, India and Pakistan didn’t decide to go Street Fighter on my sorry figure.

 

Incidentally, there’s also an Asian Intervarsity Cricket Tourney at UKM between the 20th-25th, so I’ll want to try to squeeze some time for that too J

No comments: