Categories

Pages

Thursday, May 22, 2008

So much for THAT quandary

Managed to get to the Sunway mamak for the 2nd innings of Mumbai vs Punjab only to discover that they weren’t showing the first match. Apparently they were only going to tune in to the Cricket for the second match which was later in the evening, supposedly to ensure there were enough tables for the regulars as opposed to the cricket mob that sits for hours to watch the match, ordering at most a roti canai together with their drink and never appear again until the next major cricket tournament. I was a bit peeved off at first but on hindsight I can understand. From my World Cup experience back in 2006, the cricket mob (mostly from the subcontinent) can be quite scary, especially when a match isn’t going their way. It doesn’t sound a lot different than football, but when you’re an outsider to a sport maybe 70% of the country don’t really understand, it becomes a different story.

To add to the annoyance, it took us ages to get a waiter to attend to us.  Bryan eventually walked to them instead and gave them a tongue lashing. Then the dish I wanted from the menu wasn’t available. Reaaally frustrating. Needless to say we didn’t stay very long. Football it is then!

It’s highly likely I’ll be back though, simply coz it’s the only place I know atm that subscribes to the Cricket. Beggars can’t be choosers!

Went to Bryan’s place and after cleaning up, I went to sleep really fast. Need to make sure I get enough sleep, or work would be a hazy experience the next day.

Bryan accidentally woke me up before my alarm went off though, turns out he and his housemates hadn’t slept at all. Not that I cared, as long as I got some zzzs. Off to Mydin’s the four of us went.

Mydin isn’t actually a bad place to watch football, the only problem is the huge screen can be a bit too bright, clearly designed to be watched during the day.

Final score : 1-1 (Man U win 6-5 on penalties)

Truth be told, I’m glad I woke up for it, despite me not being on neither side. A goal after 20+ minutes made for an exciting match to watch. Not interested in rivalling the mass reviews out there of the match, but in short it had everything a neutral wanted in a match: Goals, Yellow cards, squaring ups, a red card, extra time, and a thrilling penalty shootout and broken records made it an intense drama, although I was a bit annoyed the match went to extra time and penalties, which meant less sleep.

Finally we returned, and a productive attempt at raising coins for parking money ensued, before we all retired to bed. :)

I’ll try for the Cricket again tonight!

No comments: