Categories

Pages

Monday, September 27, 2004

The F in Friends part 2

I was clearing up the study back home in Bangi last night when I came across a handwritten letter from my university friend Fazilah Jaafar (affectionately known as Farsze') from year 2000. It was a letter that she wrote in response to my Hari Raya card which arrived late (thanks a lot, Pos Malaysia) scolding me (!) for the lateness.

In it, She wished me Selamat Hari Raya and Maaf Zahir Batin. She also felt sad that we don't meet as much nowadays and thanked me for being a friend, as well as reminding me to remember God in everything I do.

To me, she was one of my close friends the whole four years I was in Australia. We did the same course, we had lots of fun together, whether it was working on assignments, going on trips, watching movies, and even watching cricket (of course there was a player who she had the hots for) ! We went to Sydney together during the summer with her schoolmate, Masdiana. I even have a picture with her with us both dressed up in Ancient Chinese outfits.



We had lots of memorable times, both good and the not so good...

So, where is she now?

She passed away last year due to throat cancer. She had begun to have throat irritations back in her final year at Uni but the doctor was convinced at the time it was a temporary problem. She had been undergoing chemotherapy for two years but towards the last months of her life, the cancer had spread to her brain.

She passed away at the age of 24, leaving a husband and a not yet 1 year old child. It made me realise just how precious life is. I lost a friend who had so much ahead of her, a person who was full of life, made it a point to enjoy herself in even the most strenuous situation, yet always remembered God. Anyone knew her to be a happy individual, always positive, always cheerful. Treasure life as she did , for you never know when it might be taken away from you...

May God rest your soul, Farsze'...



1 comment:

Fina Thorpe-Willett said...

I am so sorry to know it, Az. Knowing someone that close to us passed away always brought tear to my eye. I dont her personally, but she must be a very good person as how her friends remember her always.

May God have her lovingly.. Amin.