Categories

Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2005

RockStar INXS Rant

Before I start, I want to advertise a hit job on Mr. Ainul of Blood Bowl/Twilight Imperium fame for spoiling the results for me! Any news and information on his whereabouts would be useful too! I will hunt you down, Mr Ainul, make no mistake…

After all the amazing performances this show has seen since it started, the finale was a REAL letdown. I was hoping there’d be more performances, i.e. a longer, spectacular show. The winner is gonna lead an established world act band for crying out loud! I was expecting a showcase of rock brilliance, and I was sorely disappointed. If you were one of those world audiences who voted, I’m sure you would’ve felt cheated.

Of course, this wasn’t helped by the fact that INXS chose JD, someone whom I always felt was more cut out to be a solo performer. It’s obvious in the way he does things, such as writing songs. He’s not cut out to be a team player. Let’s see if INXS don’t end up losing patience with him.

It’s a mystery as to why they chose him, although a plausible reason would simply be that JD’s rebellious streak is appealing to the current generation, and I suppose INXS are desperate to be relevant in today’s music world.
Talent wise, Marty and Mig win hands over, although MiG does appear less flexible when it comes to songwriting. I also thought that Mig’s decision to sing Bohemian Rhapsody was totally wrong, because it showed that you retreated to a safety net for a make-and-break performance. Having said that, I thought Susie sang it better too!

On the PLUS side though, Marty Casey and Mig Ayesa, not too mention Susie McNeill, are now world famous because of the show! Let’s hope that their solo acts are more popular and successful than JD with INXS will ever be!

All in all, despite the ending, I really loved the show. It was like a Journey through Rock and Roll, although I was disappointed that there was no U2 in it. I guess maybe they didn’t give permission to use their songs…

No comments: