Categories

Pages

Friday, July 29, 2005

The Importance of Follow-Up

Back when I was in KPMG, to a lot of fellow colleagues and myself, the word Follow-up was pretty much a four letter word that happened to start with the word F as well. In audit, doing the initial work seemed much easier than chasing people to get outstanding stuff. It's like writing a brilliant opening chapter for your novel, only to experience writer's block in the next.

Nevertheless, it becomes really important not to let any momentum built up thus far simply wash out.

Case in point:

I was at Zouk's Mambo night Special on Wednesday evening (thanks Ruud!), and the Grease Anniversary Medley came on! I was high enough at this stage I leaped on the already full platform and started replicating the movie dance moves.

Then, halfway through the song, a pretty Chinese girl moved to stand in front of me but on the dance floor. She didn't dance, she just looked at me doing my nonsense, smiling sweetly all the time. Towards the end (the slow Summer Loving portion) I started singing to her and she smiled on. Song ends, I introduced myself (still on the platform) with a handshake. Her name was Ju Shuen (not sure bout the spelling). Then she walks away from the dance floor, and throws one more smile at me. And what did I not do?

I didn't FOLLOW UP!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn damn damn, I just continued dancing instead... An opportunity passed up, just like that...

This is wishful thinking I KNOW, but I hope to high hope that our paths will cross again...

Anywayz, I'd like to write bout Mambo more, (it was an Abba theme night!) but that has ta appear elsewhere on the web ha ha...

1 comment:

The Ruud said...

you should tell them about what happened after you chose not to follow up *shudder*